[Yum] Yum output and term size

pirla the.pirla at gdit.it
Mon Feb 2 15:17:37 UTC 2009

Il giorno lun, 02/02/2009 alle 08.41 -0500, seth vidal ha scritto:

> 1. what version of yum is this?
3.2.20

> 2. screen-scraping the output to parse is never going to be reliable.
>
> What is it you're trying to do?
Well... I would like to have a list of available packages for every
repos, so search should be done even if offline.
Comparison can be done with a simple command (ie sdiff)
Reinstallation can be done with a simple script and so on.

These are my tests.

1. yum list available
 result is that if I have a large terminal I will see one row for each
package. And every row ends at the end (right) of the terminal.

2. yum list available | less
 result is that every row ends at 80 char.
 If there is a package which name is long, the version of the package is
written on next row

For example
jakarta-commons-codec-javadoc.i386          1.3-9jpp.2.fc9                fedora
jakarta-commons-collections.i386            3.2-2jpp.2.fc9                fedora
jakarta-commons-collections-javadoc.i386    3.2-2jpp.2.fc9                fedora
jakarta-commons-collections-testframework.i386
                                            3.2-2jpp.2.fc9                fedora
jakarta-commons-collections-testframework-javadoc.i386
                                            3.2-2jpp.2.fc9                fedora

I think, and with me some other people on the fedora mailing list, that
if output is sent to non terminal devices or to files or to pipe, it
should not be fixed to a number of char (80 char in this case).

We think that the optimal should be an option to have output for each
package on one row, divided by a special char (ie tab).

And, if possible, to have the first lines (control lines) not printed,
or printed to stderr, so one can divide output from control.

--
Ciao
        Pirla

Per rispondere in E-mail the (punto) pirla (chiocciola) gdit.it
*** un bacio ai pupi ***

---> Linux user since yesterday <---
--->     Linux User #389536     <---