[Yum] Documentation Questions and Updates

Gerhardus Geldenhuis gerhardus.geldenhuis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 15:38:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 2:57 PM, James Antill <james-yum at and.org> wrote:
> Gerhardus Geldenhuis <gerhardus.geldenhuis at gmail.com> writes:
>

>> After enabling the plugin, create a file called
>> /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/versionlock.list which will be the list of
>> packages to version lock. The file excepts package names in the form
>> rpm -q <package name> --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\n "
>> or easier the standard rpm -q <package name> format.
>
>  For upstream/Fedora the versionlock plugin now comes with a command,
> so, for example, to versionlock your Xorg drivers you just do:
>
> # yum install yum-plugin-versionlock
> [...]
> # yum versionlock xorg-x11-drv-\*
> [...]
> #

Ok, a few clarifications is needed then...

The yum versionlock <packagename>-\* command adds a 0: to the
/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/versionlock.list file

Is the 0: needed and what does it mean? man pages yum-versionlock and
yum-versionlock.conf does not make mention of this entry in the file.

Also should all entries be added in this way or can you still hand
edit the versionlock file.

I will edit my update to specify how to install yum-versionlock for
older yum versions (Centos 5.4 and Redhat 5.4) and newer yum versions
like Fedora 12.

> ...but, yes, any help updating/maintaining the Wiki/FAQ/etc. would be
> appreciated.

Glad to help, I am on a bit of a documentation warpath today. Internal
lack of documentation at my current contract is driving me a bit
mental. A few years back I was cleaning up some old computer lab that
had IBM mainframes from the 60ties and discovered some old
documentation. I was absolutely amazed at the level of detail and
precision of these documents and wished a bit that more documentation
could be like that... granted we live in a very different world today
and things work differently and change much faster... but still...
<sigh>

Regards
--
Gerhardus Geldenhuis