[Yum] Documentation Questions and Updates

Gerhardus Geldenhuis gerhardus.geldenhuis at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 14:37:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Gerhardus Geldenhuis wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org>
>> wrote:

>>> I can't do anything about what centos ships in their pkgs.
>>
>> True, I should have been a bit more clear. As I understand CentOS will
>> get packages from Redhat which will get packages from Fedora which
>> will get packages from the creators. If the creator source package is
>> correct then the changes just needs to filter through. Reason being
>> why I wanted to check the source man pages.
>>

> the centos yum pkg is from centos5 which is from rhel5 which is from an
> older yum. It's likely that pkgs' docs didn't get changed after the move.

I will follow up the matter with CentOS...

I have just done one FAQ for now as a start:

Q4. second bullet
Another way to pin package "foo" to a certain version is to use the
versionlock plugin obtainable via the yum-utils package or from
http://devel.linux.duke.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/yum-utils/plugins/versionlock/
provided you are using yum >=2.3.3

After enabling the plugin, create a file called
/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/versionlock.list which will be the list of
packages to version lock. The file excepts package names in the form
rpm -q <package name> --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\n "
or easier the standard rpm -q <package name> format.

If this meets with your satisfaction I will modify some more questions.

Regards

--
Gerhardus Geldenhuis