[Yum] yum fails to install most up to date version

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plcomputers.net
Tue Dec 8 13:52:38 UTC 2009

Jim Perrin wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:09 AM, Maria Alandes Pradillo
> <Maria.Alandes.Pradillo at cern.ch> wrote:
>
>> If I run "yum install glite-VOBOX" I get lcg-infosites 2.6.2-1. However, if I get "yum update" later, I get lcg-infosites 2.6.8-2. Shouldn't I get the most up to date version from the beginning? Is this the expected behaviour?
>
> Your example is somewhat oversimplified. There are a few dozen things
> which come into play when you're looking at this. If they are
> different architecture packages, and one has exactarch enabled, a
> newer package may be ignored if it doesn't match. The packages could
> have an epoch value set which makes the older one newer (nasty RPM
> trick). Certain yum plugins could be affecting the results also, such
> as priorities or protectbase.
>
> Your best bet is to run your yum command with debugging output so that
> we (and you) can see exactly what is going on. Add '-d6' to your yum
> command to get all the debugging output you'll likely ever need. I'd
> also recommend doing a 'yum clean metadata' or 'yum clean all' prior
> to testing, so that you're sure you're getting fresh results.

As I can see it, possible reason is that glite-VOBOX is build with
"Requires: lcg-infosites = 2.6.2-1" in it's spec file. In that case,
Maria needs newer or recompiled version of glite-VOBOX that will either
have "Requires: lcg-infosites >= 2.6.2-1" or "Requires: lcg-infosites =
2.6.8-2".
Solution for now would be "yum update -x lcg-infosites" do prevent
lcg-infosites from updating with the rest of the packages.