[Yum] Hosed my system - anyway to ask yum to fix it?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 16:41:01 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal wrote:

>> So, I attempted to turn off prelinking (floundering round in the dark)
>> but running
>> /etc/cron.daily/prelink
>> seems to hang itself - whether turning it on or off in
>> /etc/sysconfig/prelink
>>
>> I suspect I've got myself in a bit of a pickle...
>>
>> Is there any magic yum command that'll check for missing files for all
>> installed rpms and put them back in?
>
> No. not that I know of - that could be a useful app, though.

Can you get your installed package list from rpm and tell yum to
reinstall them?  Overkill perhaps, but I've always thought there should
a handy(ier) way to get the list from one box and duplicate that set on
another which would mostly be the same operation.

>> Is there any magic anything command that'll tell me definitively if I
>> should chuck the hard drive, which I really don't want to do because
>> although I've got backups, my backs against the wall at the moment and
>> I really can't afford to be doing this......
>
> no clue on how to tell on the hard drive, but as a general rule I tend
> toward the "assume the hard drive is ALWAYS failing" side of things.

'smartctl' will give you a health overview.  If the drive is too old to
have the smart interface, it's probably time to replace it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com