[Yum] In pursuit of 32-bit => 64-bit upgrade path

Lars Damerow lars at pixar.com
Mon Apr 20 14:42:12 UTC 2009

>From Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net>, Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:37:08PM -0400:
> It's not just wishing to make it so.  I'm willing to test various
> approaches to try to make this work.  And don't you think if a reliable
> solution was found that it would be supported?  Of course it would.  And
> system config mgmt?  Your talking bcfg2 or puppet?  By the time you
> setup all that xml you've typed 30 times as much as all the
> configuration in your entire system.  No thanks.

Hi Gerry,

Having been through a large 32- to 64-bit transition a few years ago, I
agree with Seth wholeheartedly. Doing this as an upgrade has a huge
number of devilish details and it's totally understandable that the
Fedora project doesn't support it. Keep in mind that the Fedora project
is staffed with volunteers, very few of which would have the time or
need to keep a 32- to 64-bit upgrade path tested and supported.

And yes, you really do want to make these changes in a configuration
management system, under source control, so that you can avoid getting
into this situation again. Setting up all of that XML will save you a
world of pain in many situations: dead hardware, new OS releases,
educating new employees, and on and on.

-lars

--
lars r. damerow :: button pusher :: pixar animation studios

"What? I don't speak your crazy moon-language."