[Yum] In pursuit of 32-bit => 64-bit upgrade path

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Mon Apr 20 03:37:08 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, Gerry Reno wrote:
>
>> Yes, but I'm trying to preserve all the hundreds of configs that have
>> been setup on some of these systems and don't want to spend tons of
>> time redoing all those and retesting everything. If we had a
>> straightforward upgrade path from one arch to the other this would be
>> most helpful.
>>

> Gerry,
>  I'm sorry but wishing will not make it so. That upgrade path is not
> supported and is likely to cause you more problems than you think.
>
> figuring out your config file changes is vastly simpler AND it gives
> you the opportunity to put these changes into a config mgmt system so
> you don't have to remember them in the future.
>
> -sv

It's not just wishing to make it so.  I'm willing to test various
approaches to try to make this work.  And don't you think if a reliable
solution was found that it would be supported?  Of course it would.  And
system config mgmt?  Your talking bcfg2 or puppet?  By the time you
setup all that xml you've typed 30 times as much as all the
configuration in your entire system.  No thanks.

Regards,
Gerry