[Yum] metadata compression

Joshua Bahnsen archrival at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 08:33:12 UTC 2009

Is there support for compression types other than gzip for the yum metadata?
For example, bzip2 or LZMA?

It is possible to trim the metadata from 145 MB down to 9 MB using LZMA over
gzip. That's huge, especially when it comes to yum mirrors. Bzip2 doesn't
yield nearly as high of a compression ratio, but it is also improved over
gzip. The largest culprit with wasted filesize is other.xml, there is a ~30x
difference in size between LZMA and gzip (66 MB to 2MB).

If there is a way to do this and I am missing it, I apologize.