[Yum] Keep just one specific kernel version

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Thu Apr 9 19:05:15 UTC 2009

I ran into a situation where we needed to boot into rescue mode to
repair an older F7 system.  Once in rescue mode I chrooted into
/mnt/sysimage and tried starting rpcbind and nfs.  I was greeted with
errors about couldn't find kernel lib modules.  Then it dawned on me
that this system had been updating the kernel so it no longer had the
original kernel available that would match the kernel from the rescue
disk.

So is there a way to keep the original kernel and still allow the system
to update to newer kernels?  I just want to keep the one original kernel
version so that it will match rescue mode.  Otherwise the system should
be free to update the kernel if it wishes and only keep two most recent
kernels (plus the one original kernel).

Regards,
Gerry