[Yum] Re: Horrible response to keyboardInterrupt

CAI Qian caiqian at cclom.cn
Sun Sep 14 01:36:04 UTC 2008

Hi,

--- MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 1:05 AM, CAI Qian <caiqian at cclom.cn> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If yum provides the feature to abandon an operation, users expect
> > use it, report related bugs, and someone eventually could fix those
> > bugs. It is also a feature which exists in some other package
> tools.
> > Otherwise, the document shall be added this information, says "The
> > program will not response to CTRL-C. Please use kill(1) to
> terminate
> > the program".
> >

> ^C is not a yum "feature," it is a "feature" of the shell and the
> kernel.  There is no guarantee that I have ever seen that says "This
> will always work to stop a runaway a program."  What it does is "This
> will always send a SIGINT to the running program."  There are lots
> (hundreds? thousands? more?) of programs out there that trap SIGINTs
> and do whatever they like with them, without any documentation at
> all.

It is a feature that yum provides users to skip mirrors by hit CTRL-C
once, and exit the program by hit CTRL-C twice. It is also a convention
to exit command-line programs by hit CTRL-C from the usability point of
view. Just like users expect to close a GUI window by click the cross
button.

Cai Qian