[Yum] Re: Horrible response to keyboardInterrupt

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 23:08:22 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 1:05 AM, CAI Qian <caiqian at cclom.cn> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If yum provides the feature to abandon an operation, users expect to
> use it, report related bugs, and someone eventually could fix those
> bugs. It is also a feature which exists in some other package tools.
> Otherwise, the document shall be added this information, says "The
> program will not response to CTRL-C. Please use kill(1) to terminate
> the program".

^C is not a yum "feature," it is a "feature" of the shell and the
kernel.  There is no guarantee that I have ever seen that says "This
will always work to stop a runaway a program."  What it does is "This
will always send a SIGINT to the running program."  There are lots
(hundreds? thousands? more?) of programs out there that trap SIGINTs
and do whatever they like with them, without any documentation at all.

Also, be careful of your use of English words.  "Shall" is an
imperative (command), not a request.  Requests are not "shalls."

Bottom line, like it or not, is if you use a free tool and don't like
it, don't use it.  If you want to make requests for feature changes,
enhancements or to report bugs, do so politely using the right
mechanisms, which explicitly exclude jumping onto mailing lists about
the product and making demands.

Maybe that wasn't what you had in mind, but your choice of words made
it seem so.  Remember, we can't hear you, so any tone in your words is
lost in print (or bits).

HTH

mhr