[Yum] Re: Horrible response to keyboardInterrupt

CAI Qian caiqian at cclom.cn
Fri Sep 12 15:25:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

--- Brian Long <brilong at cisco.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 22:30 -0700, CAI Qian wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > --- Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > > decision.
> > >
> > > making a language decision? whatever.

> > > times
> > > reasonable
> handling
> > > >

> > > Actually, you don't have to hit it that many times. You are
> hitting
> > > it
> > > that many times. What's happening at that particular point is
> that
> > > the
> > > rpmdb is being accessed. At which point rpm is holding the signal
> > > handler that would allow that interrupt to work.
> > >

> > OK, but it makes some commands unable to be cancelled, like
> >
> >   check-update
> >
> > It accessed DB, and print out things even if users don't want it
> > afterwards.
> >
> > In addition, if a user realized that he made a bad search (too many
> > results), like
> >
> >   yum -d 10 search file
> >
> > and would like to cancel it later just immediately after starting
> > print out search results, he/she couldn't, and he/she had to wait a
> > long time after almost all results returned back.
> >
> > Moreover, it is confusion and untidy to see those random backtraces
> > when a user just want to cancel an yum operation.
> >
> > [root at localhost yum-3.2.19]# yum -d 10 search file
> > ^CTraceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 4, in <module>
> >     import yum
> >   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 30,
> in
> > <module>
> >     import logging
> >   File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/logging/__init__.py", line 29, in
> <module>
> > ^C    import sys, os, types, time, string, cStringIO, traceback
> > [root at localhost yum-3.2.19]# yum -d 10 search file
> > ^CTraceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 4, in <module>
> >     import yum
> >   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 39,
> in
> > <module>
> >     from iniparse.compat import ParsingError, ConfigParser
> >   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/iniparse/__init__.py",
> line 1,
> > in <module>
> >     from ini import INIConfig
> >   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/iniparse/ini.py", line 38,
> in
> > <module>
> >     """
> > KeyboardInterrupt
> >
> > Cai Qian
>
> Cai Qian,
> yum is an open-source project.  If you feel improvements can be made
> the software because of particular use cases which affect you, write
> patch and submit it.

Sorry, I can't. I am not a programmer, but an user. I have neither
interest to learn nor enough experience for programming.

> I seriously doubt yum will ever move away from python.  Python is the
> language of choice and you'll need to work around it's deficiencies.
> If
> you find Python bugs, submit patches to the maintainer.
>

>From an user point of view, I don't care about which language yum is
currently using, and I only care about yum not Python, that is why I
spent time on this list.

> Coming onto a user list and acting like the sky is falling and
> everyone
> needs to drop what they're doing and work on your problem is not
> going
> to win you any friends.  I recommend you find a way to participate in
> the yum community instead of bashing it.

Whether winning friends or not is not my concern, I am worry about
other users may have the same pains.

Cai Qian