No subject

Thu Sep 25 21:25:52 UTC 2008

Hello!

SV> Hey all,
SV> As I'm sure you saw I'm sorta back from my vacation.
Nice to see what youre back.
SV>  0.8.9 appears to
SV> work (more or less) and I've seen relatively few serious problems
SV> reported.
Not realy serious but some typos still here in yum code :)

SV> I've heard from some grapevines that some folks are working on patches
SV> to add features, fix stupidities on my part etc. Thats completely cool
SV> and as Black has mentioned in the past I need to update the AUTHORS
SV> file. :)

Yes! Yes! :)
By the way - i and one my friend make our oun cvs repository with yum code
and code some stuff like http reget support etc. I want to work like this:
we make part of code, test it and give to you a patches. If you agree with
this - get ready to realy _big_ patches :)

SV> I'd like to suggest the following for the future development stuff:

SV> 1. for 1.0 (or whatever) we focus on making the limited functionality
SV> provided currently work well and sanely. This limits the number of "cool
SV> things" and it keeps from completely breaking currently running clients.
SV> Of course "current functionality" is a hard-ish thing to define. I think
SV> I wouldn't mind seeing group support be in 1.0 but not a WHOLE lot more
SV> "new" features unless they are ones which have limited pain-causing
SV> possibilities :)

It is quite reasonable. What about make public CVS?
I think it's need not only for me :)

SV> 2. for things beyond 1.0 I know Icon has had some recent ideas on how to
SV> make cool features appear in yum and I'm interested in pursuing those
SV> along with just making it more functional for me and those around me :)

I talk with Icon last night and i like his idea too :)

SV> 4. I'd like to setup some way of having people get access to the cvs
SV> tree. Lets take it as read that I don't want to use sourceforge at VA. I
SV> might not mind gnu savannah but definitely not VA's sourceforge.

I don't like nor savannah nor sf.net cause it's to bloated. All what we need - just
cvs repository. All this callaboration tools only make you weak :)

SV> 5. I'd like to start a listing of publicly accessible yum repositories.
SV> - just so people can find stuff they have and add them to their
SV> yum.conf's
We are first! :)
[mastersite]
name=ASPLinux 7.2 Master Site
baseurl=http://download.asplinux.ru/i386/RPMS.7.2/
[updates]
name=ASPLinux 7.2 Updates
baseurl=http://download.asplinux.ru/i386/updates/7.2/

SV> 6. list of features that have been requested:
SV> a. mirror support
SV> b. specify config file on command line
	by URL! Please! yum -c 'http://dulug.duke.edu/yum/config' update yum
	what can be better ?? :)
SV> c. package groups
SV> d. server side excludes
SV> e. file url support
SV> f. message dialog abstractions
SV> g. more sane "we can't do this and don't even know how" dialogs for
SV> conflict/dep resolution errors
SV> h. better progress bars (ok, so this just a feature _I_ want :)
SV> i. versioning of the headers/header.info file

SV> I think thats all I heard/saw. If I missed some let me know.
Yes! :)
I think what we need to add "weight" for each servers.
In short words - we don't need to download KDE10.0.2 from ftp.redhat.com if
we have this package on ftp.myoffice.smthg :)

also as i say - we make sort of abstraction for downloading.
It's very usefull cause original urllib url handlers to weak for serious
work.

SV> I figure once 1.0 is happy/stable more people could/should hear about it
SV> and maybe that will mean more ideas suggested.

SV> So thats whats going on as far as I can see. I'd like to hear other's
SV> opinions. I'll be back to my normal life sometime around 1 or 2 tomorrow
SV> I'd bet so I might not be around in the morning but email here if you
SV> have comments.

Congratulations.
I hope what you have excelent vacation! :)
Thanks for your work.

IRC: irc.openprojects.net #asplinux                      Grigory Bakunov
EMAIL: black at asplinux.ru                           ASPLinux Support Team
ICQ: 51369901                                     http://www.asplinux.ru