[Yum] centralized metadata for security

James Antill james-yum at and.org
Fri Nov 7 17:26:57 UTC 2008

"Muayyad AlSadi" <alsadi at gmail.com> writes:

> hi,
> I have a silly suggestion
> it's to allow both baseurl and mirrorlist to be used together
> and in this case yum should download repomd.xml from the baseurl
> (which is a very small file) and use the mirrorlist for other files

 If you get the latest yum from Fedora 10 (3.2.20-5) you can use
a metalink which will allow you to do what you want, but without
breaking the concept of mirrors (you can also supply a mirrlist which
will be used on older yum releases).

> this way we avoid having messages like this
>
> Not using downloaded repomd.xml because it is older than what we have:
> (01:43:55 AM) alsadi:   Current   : Wed Nov  5 10:31:08 2008
> (01:43:55 AM) alsadi:   Downloaded: Tue Nov  4 11:12:35 2008
>
> what do you think ?

 If you have out of sync. mirrors frequently enough that this is
a problem, you should also turn on --unique-md-filenames.

James Antill -- james at and.org