[Yum] centralized metadata for security

Muayyad AlSadi alsadi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 16:49:38 UTC 2008

>If yum instead did what you suggest, it may well be unable to find
>packages that the Current metadata suggest, because it is trying the
>stale mirror it downloaded the old metadata indicator from.

that won't happen, because I did not say let's take a radon mirror,
I said let's take the central secured mirror that all other mirrors
are rsync from.

>> Or perhaps my logic is absurd..
>
> Your logic is not absurd. If yum downloaded all the metadata from one
> point then that point would be come a bottleneck, badly.

I did not say all the meta data but just repomd.xml it's a very small
file (2.7K) that have filenames and their checksums, take a look at
the output of

wget -O - http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/development/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml
2>/dev/null

or
wget -O - http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/9/Everything/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml
2>/dev/null

it looks like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<repomd xmlns="http://linux.duke.edu/metadata/repo">
  <data type="other_db">
    <location href="repodata/other.sqlite.bz2"/>
    <checksum type="sha">21e97d609abaf58c50661cb97d5c8aa2f07a962a</checksum>
    <timestamp>1210184312</timestamp>
    <open-checksum
type="sha">62b710c5ae9677f7f95941e819c126406a138253</open-checksum>
    <database_version>10</database_version>
  </data>

and this is for security reasons
this way you will be sure that all the meta data are right because
they match the checksum from on repomd.xml found on the trusted server