[Yum] fedora & postgresql have bad behavior

earonesty erik at q32.com
Tue May 6 13:14:14 UTC 2008

is there any way to create a repository so that yum does the "correct thing"
with postgresql & fedora?

with postgresql, every time the "data format" changes, i'd want yum to
update *within* the minor version numbers currently installed (8.2.X,
patches, etc) but not to switch to the highest version for my platform
(8.3.X) in the repository.

the reason is that i'd like yum to update security patched every night,
unattended, but, with postgres, this would have the undesireable effect of
shutting my database server down every time the minor version changes

currently my solution is to exclude=postgresql and then look at it every
once in a while.  but that's a pretty big security risk, since my attendance
varies.

(postgresql minor versions are supported and patched in separate forks (much
like operating systems), so that operators don't have to upgrade until their
"ready" to dump the database, upgrade, and rebuild.)