[Yum] Re: networked cachedir?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 30 21:03:40 UTC 2008

Morgan Read wrote:
> David Timms wrote:
>> Morgan Read wrote:
>> There are some tools to build a yum repo mirror in your local network.
> Hmm again, was hoping to avoid mirroring a whole repo - most of which
> probably isn't necessary (I've got two similar machines).
Until recently, I had configured a master machine to yum -y
--downloadonly update twice a day.
Then set up a rsync -a masterip:/var/cache/yum/ /var/cache/yum/ to auto
run about 15 minutes after the time chosen above.
{this requires using an sshkey with no passphrase to allow it to happen
unattended}. Or make an icon on the desktop that runs rsync {give
password}, does the yum -y update.

Actually I went further:
- ftp anon share the master's /var/cache/yum {actually I pointed it to a
different path all together}.
- yum -y update
- cp the repodata to be in the same relative location as fedora mirror's.
- on clients - set an additional fedora-updates.repo baseurl as that
master machine.
- run yum -y update in the client.

DaveT.