[Yum] Installing all the RPMs in one go?

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Thu Mar 20 03:17:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Parag Kalra wrote:

> install these rpms individually by executing "yum install" 300-400 times.
> Also the fact they have different names I can't use globbing (wild cards).
> Is there a shortcut way through which I can install the rpms using by
> executing the yum command just once for e.g. making the yum read the rpms to
> be installed from a file or by some other method?

Try
cat rpm.lst | yum -y install

or yum -y install `cat rpm.lst`

or even

cat rpm.lst | xargs yum -y install  (which will deal with the
potentially really long line)

A little thought could also cut the list down, since there is a subset
of your list that is dependencies of others on the list.

or create a wrapper rpm that is nothing but a bunch of Requires: lines,
and install it.