[Yum] Yum in RHEL5

Binand Sethumadhavan binand at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 06:37:17 UTC 2008

On 13/03/2008, seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>  > [root at meibok ~]# uname -m
>  > x86_64
>  > [root at meibok ~]# cat /etc/rpm/platform
>  > i686-redhat-linux
>
> How did you end up with that /etc/rpm/platform file?

Took some checking, but I think I have it figured out.

This box earlier had an RHEL3-x86 installation on it; which I upgraded
to RHEL5-x86_64 (using Anaconda upgrade option). It appears as if
Anaconda doesn't update /etc/rpm/platform during upgrades even if the
arch changes (unless I provide rpmarch=x86_64 on the command line).

And secondly, the "right" (canonicalized) entry in /etc/rpm/platform
for my server is ia32e-redhat-linux since it has a GenuineIntel
processor. For Authentic AMD processors, it should be
amd64-redhat-linux.

All the above, from Anaconda and RHPL source code.

Binand