[Yum] set priority for yum repository

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 17 16:14:03 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 11:12 -0400, Phil Li wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We want "yum install" to check the local repository before checking
> other mirror repositories. Is this possible?
>
> The man page of yum.conf says "If you list more than one baseurl=
> statement in a repository you will  find  yum  will  ignore  the
> earlier ones and probably act
> bizarrely. Don't do this, you've been warned."
>
> We would like to create a local repository, which only contains
> essential packages. Even without Internet connection, students can
> practice using yum to install certain packages. However, if the
> Internet connection is available and the packages are not available
> locally, yum will search the online repository (e.g.
> mirrors.kernel.org). Is this possible?

you can have multiple urls on a single baseurl= line in a conf file -
that's just defining different mirrors. However, typically, that means
you have a local mirror, not a partial copy of some of the data.

If you really want to do that, I'd suggest copying the pkgs you care
about to local but making sure the metadata is identical to what's on
the upstream mirror. Then you can specify the additional baseurl and yum
will move through each of them until it finds a responsive/working
mirror.

does that help?