[Yum] Fedora9 - problem setting up the "Everything ISO DVD" as a repo?

iainlea iain at bricbrac.de
Mon Jul 7 22:20:17 UTC 2008

I spent the last 2 days of my free time trying to serve the Fedora9
Everything
ISO DVD as a repo to a set of servers using yum.

Here is some background on the http tree i have setup:

http://build/F9/i386/core/ loop mounted F9-i386-DVD ISO. Works ok.
http://build/F9/i386/updates/ mirrored copy of F9 updates. Works ok.
http://build/F9/i386/livna/ mirrored copy of livna for F9. Works ok.
http://build/F9/i386/local/ locally compiled ~20 packages. Works ok.
http://build/F9/i386/extras/ copy of "Everything" Packages/ dir. PROBLEM!

The .../extras/ repo just does not want to work. Here is what I have done
so far on the yum server serving data out to yum clients:

1. copied the contents of the F9 Everything ISO DVD Packages dir to extras/
2. cd extras/
3. createrepo .

DNS works fine, all files set to 644 and extras dir is 755 and I see the
repomd.xml file being picked by the client when checking the apache logs
on the yum server.

Now on the clients i have the following /etc/yum.repo.d/local.repo file:

[core]
name=FC$releasever/$basearch - core
baseurl=http://build/FC$releasever/$basearch/core
enabled=1

[updates]
name=FC$releasever/$basearch - updates
baseurl=http://build/FC$releasever/$basearch/updates
enabled=1

[livna]
name=FC$releasever/$basearch - livna
baseurl=http://build/FC$releasever/$basearch/livna
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

[local]
name=FC$releasever/$basearch - local
baseurl=http://build/FC$releasever/$basearch/local
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

[extras]
name=FC$releasever/$basearch - extras
baseurl=http://build/FC$releasever/$basearch/extras
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

Now if I try and do a "yum install zabbix" for package zabbix which
is in the extras/ repo i get the answer "No package zabbix available".

If however I copy the package zabbix from extras/ to local/ repo and
rerun "createrepo ." I can then install it without a problem.

In extras/ repo there are ~9700 packages so could that be a problem ?

Could a problem be caused by some of the packages being identical and
also available in the core/Packages/ dir repo ?

Any other ideas what could be causing this to fail ?

Thanx

Iain