[Yum] libbeecrypt.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 31 10:34:44 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 12:31 +0000, Giacomo Shimmings wrote:
>> Hi there - I have hosed my install of Yum on my Fedora Core 6 box
>> [root at 192 ~]# rpm -e --nodeps beecrypt
>> Can anyone help me fix yum or should I use the DVD of Core 8 to update
>> the system at this point?
>
> 1. NEVER NEVER NEVER use --nodeps unless you REALLY know what you're
> doing with them
One way to check, at the point when yum was still working, would be:
yum remove beecrypt
[no]

Then you get a nice list of all the packages that rely on the one you
want to test; which should lead to you noticing the yum/rpm would have
to be removed - not good.

Probably easiest for you and one who tries to help you to update to F8
by the DVD.

However, if you still have fileroller working:
- download the beecrypt rpm from f6 {or f6 updates if it got updated}.
- use fileroller "archive manager" to open and extract the rpm to the
root dir, all files, create subdirs, dont overwrite existing files.
- check if rpm / yum work now ?

DaveT.