[Yum] RHEL5, yum 3.2.10, and yum-utils 1.1.11 problem

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at fajar.net
Thu Jan 31 10:01:32 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 15:59 +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>

>> Today I tried yum-3.2.10, and I noticed there's an extra dependency:
>> pygpgme.
> the gpgme addition is going to be a big deal and it is something we may
> want in the rhel/centos version. too.
>

>> Another alternative would be to add some kind of warning, saying that
>> (for example) the last usable version of yum for RHEL5 is 3.2.7.
>>

> which is completely untrue. You can install pygpgme on rhel5 w/o a
> problem.

Fair enough. If I can build my own yum rpms, it's only fair to expect me
to be able to rebuild some srpms from fedora. I was expecting that all
yum 3.2-series can be used on RHEL5 with only one additional dependency,
yum-metadata-parser, instead of that many additional packages. But
you're right, the packages can be installed easily.

Oh and I probably should mention that your original SRPM also needs
python-iniparse (which in turn requires python-setuptools), and  I
didn't add it to my SRPM, but strangely enough yum 3.2.10 works without
it (except for repotrack problem).

>> On another note, repotrack sometimes doesn't work with yum 3.2.10. I
>> tried repotrack 1.1.7 and 1.1.11, both failed on this command :
>>
>> # repotrack -u anaconda-runtime
>> Importing additional filelist information
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/bin/repotrack", line 245, in ?
>>     main()
>>   File "/usr/bin/repotrack", line 193, in main
>>     deps_dict = my.findDeps(po)
>>   File "/usr/bin/repotrack", line 72, in findDeps
>>     pkgresults[req] = list(self.whatProvides(r, f, v))
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/depsolve.py", line 149, in
>> whatProvides
>>     pkgs = self.pkgSack.searchProvides(name)
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/packageSack.py", line 267,
>> in searchProvides
>>     return self._computeAggregateListResult("searchProvides", name)
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/packageSack.py", line 401,
>> in _computeAggregateListResult
>>     sackResult = apply(method, args)
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/sqlitesack.py", line 720,
>> in searchProvides
>>     return self.searchPrco(name, "provides")
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/sqlitesack.py", line 40, in
>> newFunc
>>     return func(*args, **kwargs)
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/sqlitesack.py", line 668,
>> in searchPrco
>>     results.extend(self.searchFiles(name))
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/sqlitesack.py", line 42, in
>> newFunc
>>     raise Errors.RepoError
>> yum.Errors.RepoError: None
>>
>> However, "repotrack -u bash" works. Running "yum clean all" doesn't make
>> a difference.
>>

> so it works for the bash package but not for anaconda-runtime?
> Are there other pkgs which make it fail?
>
> I can't get it to fail for anaconda-runtime.

After further testing, it seems that the problem is within depsolving of
complex packages, as "yum --installroot" also failed for that package.
To get a "clean" test environment, here's what I did :
- installed an up-to-date RHEL 5.1, with some minor changes specific to
my local setup (including the content of /etc/yum.repos.d)
- installed all the dependencies above, rebuilt from fedora development srpm
- installed yum-3.2.10, this time rebuilt from your SRPM
- installed these packages from yum-utils : yum-priorities-1.1.11,
yum-utils-1.1.11
- repotrack failed on some packages : kdebase, ktorrent,
anaconda-runtime (picked some packages which seems to have a lot of
dependency)
- repotrack succeeded on these packages : python, bash (picked some
packages which seems to have only small amount of dependency)
- "yum install --installroot=/root/testroot anaconda-runtime" (and other
failed packages above) failed with (example from installing
anaconda-runtime):

--> Processing Dependency: mtools for package: syslinux
---> Package libxml2-python.x86_64 0:2.6.26-2.1.2.1 set to be updated
Error: None

- downgrading to yum-3.2.8-1.git.fan.noarch.rpm makes everything works
right again

> Do you have any repos w/o a working mirrorlist?

No, I use only local mirrors, worked with yum-3.2.8.

Regards,

Fajar