[Yum] why does "yum search" repeat results?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat Jan 19 04:02:52 UTC 2008

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   is there a reason that "yum search" might generate duplicate
> entries?  for instance:
>
> $ yum search docbook
> docbook-utils-pdf.noarch : A script for converting DocBook documents to PDF format.
> docbook-utils-pdf.noarch : A script for converting DocBook documents to PDF format
> docbook-utils-pdf.noarch : A script for converting DocBook documents to PDF format
>
> you can see that there's already three lines of output for
> docbook-utils-pdf.noarch.  is that deliberate?

Perhaps this will help explain the situation; whether it makes sense as
a user is a different question:
$ yum list installed *docbook*
$ yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=fedora list available *docbook*
$ yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=updates list available *docbook*

So, for my F8 system, there is docbook-utils-pdf:
- installed {once installed, rpm doesn't inform from where - correct me
if I'm wrong}.
- available in the fedora repo, as released
- available in the fedora-updates repo, an update {and the EVR that is
installed}

Note that:
$ yum list *docbook*
   shows the newest available rpm in the combination of configured repos.
   if installed, shows the installed version as well.

It would be nice for the search output to list matched from:
- installed, or the repo name for each match, before appending the
string found that matched the search term.

DaveT.