[Yum] YUM Failing on 2 machines

Duncan Ritchie duncanr at pobox.com
Fri Jan 18 00:57:29 UTC 2008

Well I still have this issue however I have been able to workout some
things:

I disabled the use of sqlite.bz2 data from the repo's by modifying the
yumRepo.py file.  This made yum work but of course hasn't really solved the
issue.

I investigated some other ideas and I suspect that the issue relates to the
decompression of the sqlite.bz2 file.  It happens in misc.bunzipFile.  My
thinking is that the file is corrupted or truncated on download and the
decompression fails.  There doesn't seem to be any error handling that would
prevent the attempt to process the file after this fails.  I have no python
skills at all so I'm unable to confirm this properly.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how this could be verified?

Thanks

>On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 09:17 +1300, Duncan Ritchie wrote:
>> I have been having issues with YUM on two FC7 boxes. It fails during
>> the loading of the primary.sqlite.bz2 files but it is not a consistent
>> repository that causes the issue.
>>
>> I tried: Change the kernel, disable http_caching, yum clean all, yum
>> clean metadata, disabling some/all of the repo's.
>>
>> Sometimes (very rare) it works but will fail the next time it is run.
>>
>> The first box is running kernel 2.6.23.1-21.fc7 and yum-3.2.8-2.fc7.
>> It has a number of additional repositories. I have tried disabling
>> them and also removing their config files.
>> Box two is running kernel 2.6.21-1.3194-FC7 and yum-3.2.0-1.fc7. This
>> just has the standard repos.
>>
>> Here is the output from the first machine.
>>

>First things:
> - update yum 3.2.0 - that is very old and has a rather biggish number
>of bugs
> - are you running out of disk space anywhere?
>
>-sv

Ok I have checked the disk space = no issues.

Updated the machine with the old YUM to yum-3.2.8-2.fc7.

Still the same issue.