[Yum] Readonly Repo - createrepo a folder up - works

Gerd Bitzer johncoltrane39 at gmx.de
Fri Feb 15 07:34:46 UTC 2008

Hi Fajar,

> Hi Gerd,

> >  Then I tried another way. Looking on a RHEL5 box standing around
>
> Yes, it's actually better for you to use RHEL5 instead of RHEL4 for
> yum repository server. If you're stuck a with a RHEL4 machine that you
> can't upgrade, remember that you can always have a chrooted RHEL5
> environment.
>
> > I noticed that a relative recent createrepo-0.4.10-1 is available in Dag
> Wieers repo.
>
> Don't use it. Just use official RHEL5's (well, 5.1 actually) updated
> createrepo. It should also be available from Centos.

Meanwhile I can say, that createrepo-0.4.10-1 from Dag Wieers repo has not worked in my case. It only produced nearly empty metadata files

> >So I thought to install this version, without the whole above
> mentioned hassle, and generate the metadata for my local repo on the
> RH5 box and copy it over to the RH4 box, in the hope that there are
> correct paths inside the metadata. But again no luck, same procedure
> and problems as before :-(. Goddamned :-(
>
> Maybe it's because you use 0.4.10, and not 0.4.11.
> Have you tried David's recipe? Mine is actually similar. So assuming
> that you have two different boxes, RHEL4 and RHEL5, I recommend you do
> this :
> - mount RHEL4 DVD (or ISO) on RHEL5. Lets say the path is
> /var/www/html/rhel4/dvd
> - go to /var/www/html/rhel4
> - createrepo -v .
> - start httpd
> - access this repo from RHEL4 using either nfs (mounting
> /var/www/html/rhel4) or via httpd (use /rhel4 path)
>
> It should work.

I did so, and it worked. I used the createrepo-0.4.4-2.fc6 from Redhat (not CentOS), and it worked in an instant from the webserver (thttpd), also with createrepo -v -p. Then I copied the repodata dir from the webserver over to my RH4 box, and it also worked.

Seems that some packages of createrepo floating around have bugs inside.

Thanks a lot to you Fajar, and of course also Dave