[Yum] Readonly Repo - createrepo a folder up - works

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at fajar.net
Thu Feb 14 12:30:20 UTC 2008

Hi Gerd,

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Gerd Bitzer <johncoltrane39 at gmx.de> wrote:
>  What a nightmare :-(
>
>  I have tried to install a newer createrepo, for instance createrepo-0.4.11-1.src.rpm. It needs the package yum-metadata-parser. So I d'loaded yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-1.src.rpm from DULUG. When trying to rebuild this src.rpm it needs sqlite-devel. There is sqlite-devel on the box, but only 2.8.17, and yum-metadata-parser wants sqlite > 3. But sqlite versions > 3 seem to be "test" versions, and I don't want to have testverions on this system. :-(

I forgot to mention that my RHEL4 and 5 installations have been
heavily modified to fit our needs, so (for example) my RHEL4 have both
sqlite 2 and 3 libs (and its -devel package) available. Which is part
the reason why I managed to get RHEL5's createrepo working on my RHEL4
box. Not a recommended path for you :)

>  Then I tried another way. Looking on a RHEL5 box standing around

Yes, it's actually better for you to use RHEL5 instead of RHEL4 for
yum repository server. If you're stuck a with a RHEL4 machine that you
can't upgrade, remember that you can always have a chrooted RHEL5
environment.

> I noticed that a relative recent createrepo-0.4.10-1 is available in Dag Wieers repo.

Don't use it. Just use official RHEL5's (well, 5.1 actually) updated
createrepo. It should also be available from Centos.

>So I thought to install this version, without the whole above
mentioned hassle, and generate the metadata for my local repo on the
RH5 box and copy it over to the RH4 box, in the hope that there are
correct paths inside the metadata. But again no luck, same procedure
and problems as before :-(. Goddamned :-(

Maybe it's because you use 0.4.10, and not 0.4.11.
Have you tried David's recipe? Mine is actually similar. So assuming
that you have two different boxes, RHEL4 and RHEL5, I recommend you do
this :
- mount RHEL4 DVD (or ISO) on RHEL5. Lets say the path is
/var/www/html/rhel4/dvd
- go to /var/www/html/rhel4
- createrepo -v .
- start httpd
- access this repo from RHEL4 using either nfs (mounting
/var/www/html/rhel4) or via httpd (use /rhel4 path)

It should work.

Regards,

Fajar