[Yum] Readonly Repo - createrepo a folder up.

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 13 09:55:16 UTC 2008

Gerd Bitzer wrote:
>> 1. the repo A folder where you run createrepo. - all paths that are
>> mentioned in the repodata are relative to the folder where you run
>> createrepo, and all rpms that will be accessible must be within
>> that folder, or subfolders. - the repodata folder will always be
>> created within the folder.

Note the _relative_ above. The repodata stores the position of files
relative to folder you run createrepo on. I don't think controlling the
-o output dir can help; it just lets you put the same information in a
different place - at which point the paths are incorrect.

> My repo is under '/etc/yum.repos.d/rhel4' Meanwhile I have created a
> symlink from '/etc/yum.repos.d/rhel4/RPMS' pointing to
> '/mnt/rhel4/RedHat/repodata/RPMS/', and have created new metadata
> with 'createrepo -p -v -o ./rhel4/ ./rhel4/RPMS/' being in
So:
createrepo -p -v ./rhel4/
As mentioned run createrepo one {or more} folder up - where you do have
write permissions. Now the relative paths written into the repo data
will all include the extra directory, and everything works out.

By the way, did you find that my initial suggestion does not work ?

DaveT.