[Yum] Hardcoded paths throughout yum

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 21:32:42 UTC 2008

Hi,

Currently, all the paths in yum are hardcoded into the source files
(/usr/share/yum-cli, /etc/yum.conf, etc.). It would be nice if these
could be changed at build time to support an installation not to /usr.

Would you be interested in having this functionality? I got about
halfway through a patch and then decided I should ask in case it has
no chance of being applied. The method I'm using is pretty simple.
There's a top-level config.mk that has the prefix/bindir type
variables and a substitution function. Any files containing pathnames
have been moved to *.in files and then run through the sed
substitution to get the final files.

The reason I'm interested in this is for the purposes of bootstrapping
a system. I'd like to use a yum with an alternate prefix that won't
conflict with the real (to be installed) yum.

Any interest? Thanks.

--
Dan