[Yum] rpm install failing due to dependencies

Greg Ward gerg.ward+yum at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 16:54:53 UTC 2008

On 14 August 2008, Ross Marshall said:
> I have created a rpm for python2.5 that I want to install on a bunch of
> machines running CentOS 4. Since CentOS 4 needs python 2.3 to survive, I
> create the rpm with altinstall which doesn't make the link
> /usr/bin/python2.5 to /usr/bin/python, so everything still works. If I
> install the rpm via rpm, it works and all is happy. If I put it into a repo
> and try to install it via yum, it fails with dependency issues, even though
> python2.5 installs into it's own directory and can live with python2.3. How
> can I change this? Any help will be appreciated.

What is the exact name of your RPM?  If it's just "python", then maybe
yum is trying to upgrade CentOS' "python" to yours, which would be bad
news.  You could call it "python2.5" or even something like
"python2.5-custom" to be extra safe.

(We build a ton of third-party RPMs, and most of them have our company
name in the RPM name precisely to avoid name conflicts with Red Hat or
CentOS builds of the same upstream software.  And I am slowly switching
the old ones, that do not have our company name in them, over to that
naming scheme.  It just makes everything work more smoothly.)

        Greg