[Yum] Fwd: yum rollback !!

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 13:32:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Satish Eerpini <eerpini at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>  that was a good sugestion, but won't the list get too long if packages
>  were differentiated on that basis, is there no other way these
>  packages could be handled ???

This is really bordering on the path of insanity, as there is no sane
method within rpm for rollbacks.

How are you going to handle %pre or %postinstall scripts which may
make multiple system modifications (think jpackage.org with the
handling of /etc/alternatives)? How are you going to handle multiple
distributions, or even multiple packagers, building the same packages
with different names (clamav is a good example here). There are also
complexities with multi-arch to consider. What happens if you have say
mysql.i386 installed, as well as mysql.x86_64. You roll only one back,
and now you've truly gone and screwed yourself. Just how many lists
can be maintained for a rollback feature.

Yes, rollbacks are a 'nice' feature to have, but attempting to pound
this into yum, when the underlying platform has no method to handle it
is REALLY not a good idea. I for one don't want to see this as a
module, or as a part of yum proper. Some things just require an admin
to test prior to implementation.

This seems to be a good idea, but a poor replacement for proper
testing and backups.

George Orwell