[Yum] Fwd: yum rollback !!

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at fajar.net
Wed Apr 2 01:26:45 UTC 2008

Satish Eerpini wrote:

> and ya Fajar, i actually was reluctant to use yum in my first
> implementations of the scripts , but didn't think of a better method
> given my low knowledge, ..... actually using storage and providing
> backup and recovery was a option i already had, .... but my point was
> to design it to be very simple to use and a very 'swift' application

To comment about "swift",
that's part of the reason why I mentioned lots of stuff about zfs in my
earlier post.

Take for example, the simplest scenario :
- you have opensolaris (SXCE) dom0
- you have Linux domU, using zfs-emulated-volume-backed storage, located
on (for example) zpool/linux-root

A more complex setup could involve iscsi, but I won't cover that now.

A "backup" would be as simple as executing the command
"zfs snapshot zpool/linux-root at backup"
which would be completed almost immediately

and a "rollback" would be as simple as :
- shutting down domU
- zfs rollback zpool/linux-root at backup
- starting up domU
which would only take roughly the time required to restart a domU.

I believe that's lotta-quicker, simpler, and more reliable compared to
any rpm-based rollback scenario.

Regards,

Fajar