[Yum] Splitting repo config over multiple files

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Tue Sep 18 13:41:14 UTC 2007

On 09/18/2007 03:23 PM, Michael Chapman wrote:
> A recent change to the config parsing in yum has broken the particular
> way in which I configure my package repositories. It looks like it's no
> longer possible to split the configuration for a single repository
> across multiple .repo files.
>
> Sure, this wasn't exactly a documented "feature", but I had found it
> very useful. In particular, I had used it to configure the "protectbase"
> plugin to protect the repos for my distro, Fedora. Rather than adding
> "protect=1" to each section in the fedora*.repo files (which would mean
> they wouldn't update properly when fedora-release got updated), I had
> added all the extra config into a separate protect.repo file:
>
>   [fedora]
>   protect=1
>
>   [updates]
>   protect=1
>
>   [development]
>   protect=1
>
>   ...etc...
>
> This worked fine up to yum-3.2.3. From yum-3.2.4 onwards, I get
> "Repository '...' is listed more than once" and "Repository '...' is
> missing name" errors.
>
> I'm pretty sure it was the patch to use iniparse that broke it
> (http://devel.linux.duke.edu/gitweb/?p=yum.git;a=commitdiff;h=23f0fe4).
> Using a separate ConfigParser object for each file means that it has no
> chance to merge sections with the same name.
>
> Is this "feature" -- even if it is undocumented -- something that yum
> should allow?

I had the same problem - a while ago... I think it was yum 2.x or
something... I had include=http://.... and was overriding the >local<
settings... That didn't work from one version to the next and then I
stopped using that feature. :-)

Well, it's good to know that it actually worked again with 3.2.3, but
bad to hear that it doesn't any more - again.

I think this undocumented feature is a good feature, but there should be
a good way to also *override* settings - how we manage to assure which
config is read first - dunno :-) Maybe new setting priority=XX!?

-of