[Yum] ahh! painful error! [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>

Diego Martinez admar505 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 15:15:58 UTC 2007

Ok, nevermind,

I somehow fixed it. 3 problems mostly with the .repo - still strange, but
just for reference:

mirrorlist= does not work, I have to use a valid baseurl
the name= requires the addition of the word "Base" at the end
cannot su to root, must login in as root?  does su not really make you root?
just admin?

Thanks!

Diego

On 9/9/07, Diego Martinez <admar505 at gmail.com> wrote:

> no!  and I just checked all the dependencies, so I am pretty sure that I
> did not somehow break python,
> sooooo, I am still clueless.
>
> thanks for replying!
>
> Diego
>
> On 9/8/07, Tim Lauridsen <tla at rasmil.dk> wrote:
> >
> >  Diego Martinez wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am having massive trouble with yum, before and after upgrade to fedora
> > 7
> >
> > here is the output:
> > >yum update yumex
> > Setting up Update Process
> > Could not retrieve mirrorlist
> > http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-7&arch=x86_64error was
> > [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
> > http://mirror.nuvio.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/x86_64/os/repodata/repomd.xml
> > : [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
> > Trying other mirror.
> > Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: fedora
> >

> > I know I am pointing at a certain repository, but it is sane, and if I
> > use the mirror list, and cant read it, with a similar error - that is the
> > first set.  so it kind of looks like there is some communication error, but
> > I have no clue why.  this happens with or without the firewall, and the urls
> > work - I am totally stuck!  this is the first time in >10yrs of using linux
> > I have had a problem I cannot fix myself!
> >
> > I appreciate any suggestions!  Thank you!

> >  Are you using a proxy ??
> >
> > Tim

      A----T
   T--------A