[Yum] ahh! painful error! [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>

Diego Martinez admar505 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 15:33:15 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am having massive trouble with yum, before and after upgrade to fedora 7

here is the output:
>yum update yumex
Setting up Update Process
Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-7&arch=x86_64 error
was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
http://mirror.nuvio.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/x86_64/os/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: fedora

I know I am pointing at a certain repository, but it is sane, and if I use
the mirror list, and cant read it, with a similar error - that is the first
set.  so it kind of looks like there is some communication error, but I have
no clue why.  this happens with or without the firewall, and the urls work -
I am totally stuck!  this is the first time in >10yrs of using linux I have
had a problem I cannot fix myself!

I appreciate any suggestions!  Thank you!