[Yum] Re: Script to diagnose "no module named yum"

MikeW mw_phil at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 29 12:16:41 UTC 2007

David Timms <dtimms <at> iinet.net.au> writes:

> MikeW wrote:
> >>From much searching it looks as if it's a broken/inconsistent Python
> > installation, but Python itself does not appear to provide the means
> > to diagnose or fix this. (FWIW I think it should !)
> Would   rpm -V python yum rpm  give you the info you need to confirm
> that python, or indeed yum itself are "as packaged" ?

That does indeed indicate a problem:
prelink: /usr/bin/python: at least one of file's dependencies has changed since
prelinking

> > It's not sufficient (as many of the "answers" suggest) to reinstall
> > from source or from RPM - or from Synaptic.
> > This does not seem to fix whatever it is that is out of alignment,
> > since I have reinstalled Python, pygtk and yum from source
> > without any improvement.
> Is that from src.rpm or actual source ?
> So that could point at config that doesn't get updated with an
> compile/install. Perhaps python library/include path ?

There does not appear to be a Python 2.5.1 binary RPM on the Python.org
site (or anywhere else) - using a source RPM and trying to rpmbuild
gives a problem where rpmbuild/glob gets confused between
 /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib
Finally trying the old "./configure;make;sudo make install" from
the 2.5.1 tar.gz file completes successfully but does not fix anything !
Presumably because the old 2.3 installation still has precedence,
maybe the 'make install' does not override the existing installation.
Grrr.

> > I would be very grateful if the yum shell script would be able
> > to take a more proactive approach to finding out what it
> > needed and what was missing - maybe looking in both
> > /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib for example, or finding multiple
> > Python installations and behaving in a sensible way.
> Or perhaps you aren't using rpm to begin with ?
>
> David Timms.

No, I tried using Synaptic to start with, when yum failed to work properly
following a site proxy change.
I was also fed up with Meld spewing up messages about deprecated API calls,
so tried to update the packages that it was complaining about (pygtk).
So maybe if I'd found the right repo to update my Meld from I would
never have had this problem !

Thanks for your input anyhow !

Regards,
MikeW