[Yum] yum tries to install too many packages

John Lee john.lee at dtiteam.com
Thu Oct 4 15:35:25 UTC 2007

I have a user running Red Hat ES3 U5 and when he tried to run "yum install iptraf" (using version yum 2.0.8) it tried to install and update additional FIFTY+ packages siting dependency issues.

It didn't seem right so we tried just manually installing the iptraf RPM (rpm -Uvh) and it installed fine without any dependency issues.

Again, this is a RedHat ES3 machine installing from a CentOS3-i386 RPMforge repository, using the old yum-arch (headers.info) format for metafiles.

Has anyone experienced this?  And know why this is happening?  Tried running 'yum install iptraf' on RedHat ES4 machines and it worked fine without asking me to install additional 50+ packages...

Thx...