[Yum] yum rhn timeout error

Peter Kekenes-Huskey huskeypm at wag.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 12 04:08:36 UTC 2007

Hi
I'm trying to do a package update using yum for my RHEL5 system (still have
an active subscription).  In a nutshell, the program hangs indefinitely when
it attempts to download primary.xml.gz.  I've tried disabling my firewalls
to no avail.  I can ftp to the repository at ftp.redhat.com.  Has anyone
encountered this issue?  I've copied the output below and included my .repo
info:

[root at nietzsche huskeypm]# yum install kernel-devel xorg-x11-server-sdk
pkgconf
ig
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
rhel-i386-client-5        100% |=========================| 1.4 kB    00:00
primary.xml.gz              0% |                         | 8.0 kB    03:43
ETA
Error: failed to retrieve repodata/primary.xml.gz from rhel-i386-client-5
error was [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum

[rhel-debuginfo]
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - Debug
baseurl=ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/$releasever/en/os/$
base
arch/Debuginfo/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release

thanks!

Peter Michael Kekenes-Huskey
California Institute of Technology
Department of Chemistry