[Yum] "yum install" removes the old version of the package

Kamavaram, Sunil skamavar at qualcomm.com
Thu May 24 23:02:59 UTC 2007

Hi

# rpm -qa | grep TEST
TESTabc-3.1.0-02
TESTxyz-3.1.0-02

# yum install TESTabc-3.1.0-04
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package TESTabc.i386 0:3.1.0-04 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: TESTxyz >= 3.1.0-04 for package: TESTabc
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package TESTxyz.i386 0:3.1.0-04 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check

Dependencies Resolved

=====
 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository
Size
=====
Updating:
 TESTabc     		i386       3.1.0-04           TEST
100 k
Updating for dependencies:
 TESTxyz 			i386       3.1.0-04           TEST
10 k

Transaction Summary
=====
Install      0 Package(s)
Update       2 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)
Total download size: 93 k
Is this ok [y/N]:y

Sucessfully installed.

# rpm -qa | grep TEST
TESTabc-3.1.0-04
TESTxyz-3.1.0-04

"yum install" is removing TESTabc-3.1.0-02, which I don't want. So, when
"yum install TESTabc-3.1.0-04"  is run successfully, I want to see old
version and new version of TESTabc and TESTxyz packages

# rpm -qa | grep TEST
TESTabc-3.1.0-02
TESTxyz-3.1.0-02
TESTabc-3.1.0-04
TESTxyz-3.1.0-04

So, is it a restriction on "yum install" that it will remove the old
version of the package once it successfully install new version of the
package.

Is there flag/way in yum, when I run "yum install TESTabc" I should see
both old and new version of TESTabc on the machine.

Thanks
Sunil.