[Yum] yum through Apache proxy

Eric Irrgang erici at motown.cc.utexas.edu
Fri May 4 01:19:23 UTC 2007

I've just installed RHEL5 which has yum version 3.0.1 packaged as
yum-3.0.1-5.el5.

Yum doesn't work through my Apache proxy web server.  It is getting http
400 errors due to an RFC 2616 section 14.23 violation.  In other words, it
is issuing "CONNECT xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com:443 HTTP/1.1" and not following
it with a "Host: " line.

More interestingly, according to snooped network traffic the first two
CONNECTs it sends have the proper headers, it is only the third request
(my test case is to run 'yum check-update') where the CONNECT line is
issued followed by two CRLFs.  Presumably the attempt to retrieve
repomd.xml?

I'm a python novice and I'm having a hard time figuring out why it would
work sometimes and not others.  It may be significant that my proxy does
not require authentication so my yum.conf does not have any proxy
parameters set other than "proxy=http://proxyservername:80"

Thoughts?

--
Eric Irrgang - UT Austin ITS Unix Systems - (512)475-9342