[Yum] Wildcard bug or feature?

Steve Brown sbrown at valueline.com
Fri Mar 23 16:53:05 UTC 2007

Hi,

Due to disk space constraints on my notebook, I was unable to update 435
applications all at once.  Wanting to do my updates in smaller batches,
I tried 'yum update apr-*' and was happy to find that I could use
wildcards to specify smaller groups of applications to update.  Next, I
tried 'yum update a* b* c* d*' figuring I would do four letters of the
alphabet at a time.  The prompt said I would only be updating 2
applications, though I know from my 'yum list updates' list that there
are many more applications to be updated beginning with those letters.

Next, I tried 'yum update a*' and noticed that there were may lines
saying there was no match followed by the name of a file that started
with 'a' that was in the current directory.  When I moved into an empty
subdirectory and ran 'yum update a*', it ran exactly as I had hoped.

If this is a bug, please fix it.  If it's a feature, please explain.

By the way, something like 'yum -n ## update' where ## is the number of
applications to update would be helpful in this situation, or better
yet, have yum clean up after itself every ## updates.

Thanks.

Steve

This transmission contains information intended to be confidential and solely for the use of Value Line, Inc., and those persons or entities to whom it is directed. It is not to be reproduced, retransmitted, or in any other manner distributed. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.