[Yum] Are up2date repository and yum repository the same?

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Thu Mar 15 10:21:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 05:26:37PM +0800, Bo Xie wrote:

> I know the following:
> (1) up2date can connect and use yum repository

Only if the yum repo is created with yum-arch, AFAIK it does not
handle XML-based yum repos (created with createrepo) correctly.
At least not in the earlier RHEL4 days.

> (2) use 'yum-arch' or 'createrepo' to create yum repository

See above.

> (3) There is not official RHEL yum repository. To update RHEL, we must
> use up2date.

Yes.  But in RHEL5 up2date is gone and the update tools can use new
yum repos (created with createrepo) without any problems.  In fact,
although the official RHEL repos are not yum repos, they are accessed
via a yum plugin.

> I do not know the following:
> (1) can yum connect and use up2date repository?

In RHEL5 there is a yum plugin that exactly does this.

> (2) how to create an up2date repository?

For an "up2date" repo you need to use a reverse-engineered RNH server.
The "current" project does something like this, but I think this is
not really what you want.

> My question is: Are up2date repository and yum repository the same?

No.  The "up2date" repos is in fact a repo (some database) accessed
via XML-RPC (see also that "current" project) and if you don't really
need it, stay away from it, especially since RHEL5 uses the yum API
natively.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>