[Yum] bug? concerning "install" needing to "upgrade" dependancies...

Neil Harkins nharkins at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 21:06:47 UTC 2007

On 3/14/07, seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:

> yum will not ever downgrade a component on an install. that's extremely
> dangerous behavior. If you have a version of something which requires an
> older version either:
> 1. build the thing against the newer version
> 2. provide a compat- pkg to provide the old dep

I think you misread something in my message?
I'm not expecting yum to downgrade. That indeed would be silly.
I'm trying to install something which requires a NEWER version
of something else previously installed. The newer version is available,
just not installed.

Yum (2.4.3.1) is not smart enough to UPgrade that dependancy.
It tries to install the dependancy (presumedly because the command
line arg was "install", thus it tries that action on all dependent tasks?),
which fails due to a conflict with the currently installed version.

-neil