[Yum] ImportError: cannot import name plugins

Andrew Schwarzkopf adschw at umich.edu
Wed Mar 14 03:10:25 UTC 2007

Probable solution to "cannot import <blah>":

Your error sounds identical in spirit to the error I posted about back
on 12/20/2006, with subject line "[Yum] yum: build/install problem
(cannot import logginglevels)".  I finally resolved it, but never
replied to my own post.  Now is as good a time as any to post a solution
to a problem many seem to be having.

You say you created rpms from source rpms and then installed stuff --
that's what I thought I did too.  But I actually hadn't accomplished
that, so maybe you didn't either.  The following may help:

I originally did not realize that there is a difference in how one
installs source rpms and (normal?) rpms.  When you have a (normal?) rpm,
you just install it with 'rpm <package>' or perhaps yum.  However,
*source* rpm files (which I believe can be identified by having the
extension .src.rpm) require two steps.  First you build an rpm from the
source rpm.  Then, you *still* need to install that newly built rpm.
(This is the step that I neglected to do, and probably you did too.  As
a result, yum is not installed, and things can't be imported properly.)
To actually install the new rpm, you have to find where it landed on you
machine when you built it.  The webpage that helped me was:

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch06_:_Installing_Linux_Software#How_to_Install_Source_RPMs

The key hint I needed was:

> The compiled RPM file can now be found in one of the architecture
> subdirectories under /usr/src/redhat/RPMS directory. For example, if
> you compiled an i386 architecture version of the RPM it will placed in
> the i386 subdirectory.
> You will then have to install the compiled RPMs found in their
> respective subdirectories as you normally would.

So I dug into /usr/src/redhat/RPMS, and sure enough the rpm was there.
Once I installed it,  yum worked again.

Andrew

P.S.  The reason I had trouble with installing yum is because it was the
first source RPM I'd ever needed to install.  It seems that most other
things I want to install I can find normal rpms for; but *all* of the
rpms for 'yum' are source rpms.