[Yum] yum and crash recovery

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at fajar.net
Fri Mar 2 06:54:39 UTC 2007

Michel Salim wrote:
> I have an unreliable system that is prone to overheating (at which
> point the kill switch would mercifully save the CPU from a flaming
> death, but at the expense of whatever is going on at the moment) --
> and doing a large yum transaction is quite reliable at causing a
> lock-up (I'm making sure I set the CPU speed to minimum before
> updating now).

I may be saying the obvious here, but you should find out how to cool
down that server, or throw it away. Unless it's NOT a server :-P
> Anyway, the question is, if you're partway into the transaction, and
> some packages have been installed (but the old ones not removed yet),
> is there a way to tell yum to clean up the mess? There must be some
> transaction logs somewhere that can be used to automate the process.

IMHO the best way is to recover rpmdb from backup, and restart the yum
process.
SUSE has /etc/cron.daily/suse.de-backup-rpmdb. I don't think Redhat has
it by default.

Regards,

Fajar