[Yum] Not picking up partial updates

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 18 16:00:40 UTC 2007

Martin Coker wrote:
> I have just installed FC7 and am having extreme difficulty in upgrading
> as my dial up connection is reset every 2 hours and yum -y update will
> not restart any partial updates made before the connection was lost.
> This is not a problem for smaller files but for larger files having to
> start from the beginning of say a 30mb evolution upgrade is very
> annoying and makes downloading files greater than this impossible.
>
>  I am dual booting with FC6 and have no problem there.If anyone can help
> I would be much obliged. I have copies of my FC6 yum.conf file and
> wonder if copying this to FC7 may work but I have no idea what the
> problem can be as yum.conf help file does not really show options that
> would apply.The only difference between the two files is:
> pkgpolicy=newest
> distroverpkg=redhat-release
> tolerant=1
> not present in FC7 yum.conf
The default in F6 and F7 in /etc/yum.conf is:
keepcache=0
if you change it to 1, then any complete rpm will stay on your disk
{which is how it worked prior to FC6}.

You might exclude some big updates like openoffice.org, and leave it til
later:
yum update -x openoffice.org* -x evolution* update

If you have multiple other repos enabled, you might like to
--disablerepo=otherrepo so that there is a smaller group to update, or
even just:
yum update a*
and so forth.

You might also choose to use another method {rsync or ftp -resume} to
complete the download:
su -
cd /var/cache/yum/updates/packages
wget -c evolution.....rpm