[Yum] Reverse depsolving when uninstall

Viktor B viktor_b_68 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 4 11:45:34 UTC 2007

Hello, I have a problem when uninstalling packages.For example, I run "yum install system-config-httpd". Along with it, two dependencies are also installed: alchemist and libxslt-python.But later, when I run "yum remove system-config-httpd", it says nothing about alchemist and libxslt-python. They remain installed, to no use. After each similar install-and-remove, more and more disk space is getting wasted. And for a typical user/sysadmin, it would be impossible to track these orphans. The only way would be to maintain a list of which packages was installed as dependencies. But shouldn't that be done automatically by yum instead? It suggest it could work like this:When system-config-httpd and its dependencies are installed, yum stores reference links for alchemist and libxslt-python respectively towards system-config-httpd.Later when system-config-httpd is removed, yum detects that it is linked to by alchemist and libxslt-python.If either alchemist or libxslt-python has additional reference links to other packages than system-config-httpd, it will remain installed. Otherwise, it will be removed along with system-config-httpd.Any package that was installed explicitly, i.e. not as an automatic dependency, should never be assigned reference links. So if you first installed alchemist manually, then installed system-config-httpd, alchemist would not be removed when system-config-httpd is removed. Is there any feature of yum that can do this "reverse" depsolving? If not, what do you think about adding it?Viktor