[Yum] Yum lock while searching

Joe Wrigley jwrigley at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 10:54:55 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm considering filing a bug about the following behaviour, but I thought I'd
better sound out the list first.

If I start off a yum process that actually "does" something, such as yum
install blah or yum update and then perform a yum search as the same user
while that first process is running, I get a locking error, e.g.

Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 8265. Aborting.

Using the -C flag doesn't make any difference. A workaround is to run the
search as a different user. I run into this quite frequently, as I often tend
to start installing a handful of packages and then search for another package
that I want to install afterwards.

Bug or feature?

Joe
--

Joe Wrigley                     Office: +44 1252 362 700
Technical Support Engineer      Direct: +44 1252 362 818
                                Email:  jwrigley at redhat.com