[Yum] RE: yum compatibility backward with rpm

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Mon Jul 30 22:48:58 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 00:53 +0200, Ross Cameron wrote:
> I think half the problem is,... YUM was designed to do exactly the
> things you're asking it not to do.
>
> Whilst its always possible to extend YUM to do what you want,... the
> question needs to be raised is,... is all the additional maintenance
> etc. going to be carried on once someone writes the addon?
>    Its a feature set completely contrary to the design and global
> implimentation of the program. And not impossible to be removed at a
> later day leaving you high and dry again,...
>
> How do the guys at the Fedora project knock out their 500-odd MB
> server version I think is more the Q,... cause Im sure they must run
> into these same issues.

Here's how I do it. Install a box via kickstart that does not have
anything in
%packages
boot it.

install yum-utils - specifically for the package-cleanup script

run:
package-cleanup --leaves --all

that's a list of all the packages upon which nothing else depends.
- sift that list and remove all the stuff you don't think you need
- run it again
- sift it again
- run it again
- sift it again

yum list installed

see how many pkgs are there and make sure there's nothing in there (that
something else may depend on) that you know you don't need.

This is what Jesse Keating got Fedora7/Rawhide down to:

http://jkeating.fedorapeople.org/107rpms