[Yum] Come on! Removing 182 RPMs for hal?

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Wed Jul 11 23:00:14 UTC 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 4:26 PM, Wayne Sweatt wrote:

> The yum command was:
>
> "yum remove hal hal-devel"
>
> The Yum dependency resolution determined that the removal of 182
> RPMs was necessary - as seen below.
>
> Our admin killed the process before Yum butchered too much of the
> system's packages.
> How in the world can this list be valid?
> kernel-utils? anaconda? firefox? system-config-* ?
> Please explain/help?

Hi Wayne, this is just yum following the dependency chain from hal.
For example here's what the hal rpm provides:
# rpm -q --provides hal
config(hal) = 0.4.2-6.EL4
libhal-storage.so.0
libhal.so.0
hal = 0.4.2-6.EL4

Now, let's see what (on my EL4 box) needs some of that stuff..
# rpm -q --whatrequires hal 'config(hal)' libhal.so.0
hal-cups-utils-0.5.2-8
system-config-packages-1.2.23-1
gnome-volume-manager-1.1.0-5
nautilus-cd-burner-2.8.3-6
kudzu-1.1.95.22-1
NetworkManager-0.3.1-4.el4
hal-0.4.2-6.EL4
hal-cups-utils-0.5.2-8
gnome-vfs2-2.8.2-8.2
sound-juicer-0.5.14-2.EL
gnome-volume-manager-1.1.0-5
nautilus-cd-burner-2.8.3-6
desktop-printing-0.17-3.EL.1
hal-0.4.2-6.EL4
NetworkManager-0.3.1-4.el4
NetworkManager-gnome-0.3.1-4.el4

Now, if you follow the --whatrequires even further (for each of those
packages recursively), you'd come up with the list that yum came up
with.  My results may be slightly different since we may have
different packages installed.  For example, 'yum erase hal' on an EL4
box here wants to erase 498 packages :)

Hope that helps explain.

-Jeff